Memoirs of Erin Richelle

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

(What the EFFE ... stomping around in a circle w/ my arms spread out)

When the Levees Broke... (another Spike Lee joint)

WARNING: This posting is just random reactions and quotes that I had to get out while watching the documentary...structure, form and grammar is sorta crazy...apologies...

So I will be up all night doing my work for Thursday... but I think it is well worth it for me to watch Spike Lee's documentary. This is very wild & I really hope that everyone is watching, b/c I feel like this ish is real. While I am watching this I can only think of Dr. Foster (Virginia Union / University of Richmond) professor who taught Black Community in Urban America, he would say something like, "America's unimaginable, disgraceful notion that the black underclass has absolutely no value." Then, Dr. Foster, would suck his teeth, followed by a long, almost awkward pause to let us think about the realness in what he just said.

In watching this documentary, I am realizing that MY people are hella resourceful. Using air mattresses, rubbermaid storage containers and refrigerators as boats and flotation devices - in a last resort effort to save thier lives.

Hot DAMN, a child maybe 12 explaining to the reporter that her mom needed oxygen (I guess she was asthmatic or had emphysema) and she's taking care of her younger simblings, and her mother is dead in the backroom.

"My grandmother is a diabetic, she is on insulin, and doesn't have any. She don't know if she is going to live or die...what she gonna do? We just need some help and support." - 8 - 10 year old boy

Singing "This Little Light of Mine" in the Superdome - Which demonstrates black people's unsurmountable faith in God, which has been consistent and present in all of the darkest days against black people, from slavery, to civil rights, and evidently to Katrina.

Did I just hear this white guy right in saying, "they were not niggers they were animals???" Uhm, since when is that ok?!? I'm really hoping that I heard him incorrectly...

Black Chief of Police caught up in tears...when a Black man cries (especially in public), you know things are real!

Well hell, the white newsreporter is crying and it seems just as crazy, so when you see a White man crying (especially in public), you know things are real!

"George Bush doesnt care about Black people...I wasnt concerned about record sales or sponsorships, which we did, but I was more concerned about if I was in these people shoes" - Kanye

"Go Fuck yourself Vice President" - random young white dude...and he said this to his face on national tv...ca-ra-zy!

"President Bush can kiss my ass, the Federal government can kiss my ass, even though there isn't much [ass] left" - random middle aged white lady (under the influence of alcohol)

"Blahnik's, Broadway and Balls over Black People suffering" referring to Condaleza Rice during the unfolding of Katrina. - Michael Eric Dyson Upenn African American Studies Professor

"Refugees, what kind of shit is that? What, when the storm blew in, it blew away our citizenship also?" - New Orleans Man

NO WORDS...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home